SIGNS OF POSSIBLE STRUCTURAL DAMAGE
Most buildings that have suffered structural damage will show very distinctive outward signs. Before entering any building, thoroughly check for signs of possible structural damage.
Buildings are built with straight horizontal and vertical lines. When it has suffered structural damage these straight lines can become distorted. This is a strong indication that the buildings structural stability has been compromised. The following is a list of some of the tell-tail signs of structural damage.
- Uneven window lines
- Draw an imaginary line across the tops of windows. Is that line level?
- Foundation not level
- Ground around foundation is fractured and uneven
- Any leaning
- Look at all sides of the building
- Compare to the building next door .
- Garage doors and entry way
- Are these doors out of plumb
LARGE CRACKS IN THE EXTERIOR OF THE BUILDING:
- Especially around garage doors and entry way
- Foundation cracks
SEPARATION BETWEEN THE BUILDINGS:
- Is it even?
- Was it there before?
- Are other buildings on the block similar
- Around the foundation area
- Coming out of openings on ground floor